China Circle is a consultancy specialized in China, communication and media. China Circle provides strategic advice, offers project management and training to organisations with activities that focus on China and Asia.
China Circle has extensive knowledge and expertise in the fields of cross-cultural communication, media and intercultural management. This enables us to put any development that involves both China and communication issues into context. We can spot both sensitivities and opportunities in China and Europe.
We offer the following services:
- Strategic advice: China Circle advises organisations on strategic issues, specializing in (intercultural) communication and media. We evaluate existing operations, conduct research into new possibilities and trends, organise workshops and brainstorms, do SWOT analyses and quick scans.
- Project management: we have broad experience in managing China-related projects, especially related to communication, media and diversity. China Circle initiates new projects and provides structure and coherence to existing projects. We aim for clear and concrete results.
- Training: Eastern and Western communications styles differ greatly. China Circle offers fun workshops on cross-cultural communication for you and your team, using exercises on perceptions and communication styles. Ardi Bouwers is a certified trainer using the Intercultural Readiness Check and the Diversity Icebreaker. These tools are very helpful in reflecting on ourselves and understanding others. In the workshops, we will also look at your organisation and products through both a European and an Asian lens. This approach leads to much more effective communication between East/West counterparts, and will help you prevent and solve problems with clients.
- Lectures: Ardi Bouwers gives lectures, master classes and moderates debates about cross-cultural communication, culture, social media, journalism and differences between China and the Netherlands. China Circle organises public meetings and inspiring in-company brainstorming sessions. Here’s an example of a Pechakucha presentation by Ardi in Guangzhou: 3 lessons about the Netherlands.
Ardi Bouwers has the unique combination of in depth knowledge of China and a broad experience in cross-cultural communication and journalism. She teaches at universities in both the Netherlands and China, on China in the 21st century and on cross-cultural communication, for example at Amsterdam University College and Leiden University, and in the PRC at Xiamen and Jinan (Guangzhou) University. In media management, she has been responsible for over 200 professionals from around the globe. Furthermore, she is an experienced interviewer and moderator.
In the early 80s she studied Sinology at Leiden University and Nanjing University. Over the past 35 years she has seen China develop from an inward-looking communist country to the world power that it is today. She gives lectures, writes columns and acts as a debate moderator on a variety of China and cross-cultural communication related issues for the Hague Center for Strategic Studies (HCSS), the Free University of Amsterdam (VU), Rotary clubs and other organisations.
As deputy editor-in-chief of Radio Netherlands Worldwide she has set up a successful Chinese-language website (Helan online, 荷兰在线). She has in-depth expertise and experience in the international media industry, and in particular，on cross-cultural communication and management. Through her 35 years of experience in China and Asia, combined with intensive cooperation with colleagues from China, the Arab world and Africa, she has learned to effortlessly switch between different perspectives. Intercultural cooperation offers insight in other cultures, and also a fresh look at your own society.
Bei Wang is an experienced media consultant and communication strategist specialized in China’s public sector and private sector.
Bei’s cross-border and cross-industry project expertise ranges from culture and fashion, journalism and education, to healthcare and sustainability.
In addition, Bei has been a successful manager in an international media organisation for many years.
Clients for workshops, lectures and project management are:
– Centre for Professional Learning of Leiden University, workshops for ambassadors and civil servants of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Amsterdam University College
– Jinan University in Guangzhou, School of Journalism and International School
– Xiamen University, School of Journalism and Communication
– Dutch National Archive, Captains dinner, presentation on East-West communication
– Delft University, preparation for study trip to China of Industrial Design students
– Zuyd University of Applied Sciences, on China and media
– Guangzhou Consulate of the Kingdom of the Netherlands
– Global Garden Lifestyle Festival, Guangzhou
– Helan Online, RNW Media
– RNTC media training centre
– Movies That Matter filmfestival
– Guanxi network
– Institute for Interdisciplinary Studies, University of Amsterdam
– Leiden Institute of Asian Studies
– China studies, Leiden University
– The Hague Center for Strategic Studies
– Rotary, Leiden
– Confucius Institute Groningen
– Prince Claus Fund
– Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Asia Carrousel)
For graphic design, our partner is Studio Yu. They have designed our new logo and the cover of the book Circles and straight lines.