Ardi Bouwers has the unique combination of in-depth knowledge of China and a broad experience in journalism and intercultural management. She teaches at universities in both the Netherlands and China, on China in the 21st century, on intercultural communication and storytelling.
For her clients to gain insight into their intercultural sensitivity and skills, she makes use of the Intercultural Readiness Check and the Diversity Icebreaker, both very practical tools that provide insights in ourselves and how we deal with others.
In the early 1980s Ardi studied Sinology at Leiden University and Nanjing University. First time she visited China was in 1982! Over the past four decades, she has seen China develop from an inward-looking communist country to the world power it is today. She gives lectures, writes columns and acts as a debate moderator on China and intercultural communication. She appeals to diverse audiences, varying from students and alumni to retirees, and to professionals from the business community to government officials and diplomats.
As deputy editor-in-chief of Radio Netherlands Worldwide (RNW) she set up a Chinese-language website (Helan online, 荷兰在线). At RNW, she managed over 200 media professionals from around the globe and led the daily news meetings for over a decade. Ardi has extensive expertise and experience in the international media industry and on intercultural communication and management. Through her experience in China and Asia, combined with intensive cooperation with colleagues from China, Indonesia, the Arab world and Africa, she has learned to effortlessly switch between different perspectives. Intercultural teamwork offers insight in other cultures and also a fresh look at your own society.
In 2016 Ardi published a book Cirkels en rechte lijnen, (in Dutch) on communication differences between Chinese and Dutch people. Read more about Ardi in the media here.
Tao Yue is devoted to intercultural understanding and business improvement. She provides customized East-West intercultural training and coaching and develops insightful business case studies and executive training materials.
Tao has delivered cross-cultural training in Europe, the US, and China for such international clients as Shell, Siemens, Bosch, KLM Air France.
Currently, Tao is also Managing Editor at the Rotterdam School of Management’s Case Development Centre, working closely with academia and business to develop case studies and other educational material. Previously She worked as a journalist with Bridge News (acquired by Dow Jones) and Agence France Presse in Shanghai and as an International Programmes Manager at Leiden University.
Tao took her BA in English language and literature at Fudan University (1998) and MA in social sciences (cum laude) at the University of Amsterdam (2002). She publishes regularly in Chinese and English. Her debut novel Hong Xishuai was published in China in 2012 and came out in Dutch (Schemering boven Shanghai) and English (Shanghai Blue) translation in 2015.
Kathleen Ferrier follows the rise of China from a broad political perspective. Kathleen combines her unique experience as a political insider – she was a respected member of the Dutch Parliament for a decade – with a deep knowledge and understanding of Hong Kong, where she lived for five years, from 2013 until 2018, teaching sustainability, human rights and more at Hong Kong Baptist University.
In combination with her earlier experiences in Latin America, Kathleen has become a cross-cultural communicator who provides interesting insights for both the public and private sector.
In addition, she is an honorary professor of human rights at the Asian University for Women in Bangladesh and a gifted public speaker. More information on Kathleen’s website, on LinkedIn or follow her on Twitter.
Bei Wang is a very experienced media consultant and communications strategist with cross-border and cross-industry expertise. Bei is a business consultant and media entrepreneur specialized in the public sector, the private sector, media and the creative industry.
She was born in China and has lived in Europe since 2000. Her expertise ranges from luxury, culture, fashion to media, education and healthcare. She co-founded Five Group BV, a fast growing company based in Europe and China, aiming to bring people, businesses and organisations closer together.
Also, Bei has been a successful manager in an international media organisation for many years. More information on LinkedIn and Bei’s website.
For graphic design, we cooperate with Studio Yu, who designed our new logo and our book ‘Cirkels en rechte lijnen’.
For translation and interpreting, China Circle works with Ming Translations, a specialized bureau with a decade of experience.
A selection of clients who benefited from our keynote speeches, workshops, training, courses and projects:
- Alumni of Leiden and Amsterdam University, workshops on Intercultural Communication
- Amsterdam University College (semester course China in the 21st Century)
- Benelux Chambers of Commerce, on how to reach the fast-growing group of Chinese Independent Travellers
- Centre for Professional Learning, on East-West communication for civil servants and ambassadors of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Designer Outlet Center Roermond and Batavia Stad, training on How to Improve Service to Chinese Guests for sales staff (through Impact Global)
- Global Mayors Forum in Guangzhou on Storytelling for Municipalities
- Guangzhou Academy of Social Sciences on Developing a New Narrative for Guangzhou
- HAN University of Applied Sciences, Check-IT, workshops Intercultural Communication to prepare ICT-students for an internship in Xiamen
- HOVO Leiden University (University for Higher Educated Retired Professionals), series of keynotes on China in the 21st century
- Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies, University of Amsterdam (semester course China, what everyone needs to know)
- Jinan University in Guangzhou (China), Journalism and Communication School, semester course International News Comparison and Analysis
- Leiden University (semester course Moderne Chinese Geschiedenis)
- RNTC, develop new content strategy for China website
- Xiamen University (China), Journalism and Communication School, summer course International Communication
Plus: Rotary, Guanxi.nl, CinemAsia, Movies That Matter, HCSS, China2025, RNTC Media Training, and others.